Author Topic: Rain  (Read 2761 times)

uncle buck

Rain
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »
Sure getting enough of it...It might impact some activities but I do have to admit all the plants Perennials sure do look good this year.. Seems like they are weeks ahead in growth.  Some of the early blooming perennials are holding up longer too.. Probably since we don't have real constant hot days already.

I remember sportsperson always claiming that heavy rains could cause some of the young new born animals to drown in their den's.  Now I would think the mom and pop fox and or coyote would just move the young...Things like rabbits?  I don't know if the doe would move the young rabbits.

Rain....I love those days that it will rain for about an hour and then the sun comes out... Wow what a time to go hunt woodchucks then everyone of them would be out of their den... Probably.....they like eating the wet plants or maybe some of the cloud burst do fill their holes up a bit...

Rain is good for the shrooms...Hate it when we have drought into July and the Golden Chanterelles just don't come up..

Rain they say always a good day to hunt ducks... Understand that the atmospheric pressure because of the Low causes the ducks ears to hurt so they fly lower.  Birds on a wire also means rain approaching or the sound of the train whistle or really it's the train horn louder then normal is a way to tell if it's going to rain that day or soon...

Just posting things on rain to make people think about it...Rain the pros and con.
  Probably one of the most painful times is when the fox season opens and we have torrential rain fall.. Wow that is hard to deal with.. You want to get out there the worst way.  recently some of our past year openers were that way.. Rained like heck..One year I just couldn't take it and went hunting after 1:00 AM once the rain diminished a bit.  Wow killed a 13 pound gray fox when the rain slowed down that opening day..        The LOW was departing the area and the critters started moving..So rain is good like that...Once the heavy rain is departing an areas the animals start to move again.

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »
Was out on the quad check'n the fields last week and saw that on the flats, the hog holes were filled with water. Will be interesting to see if those holes will become active after the water dries up. One thing for sure.......the grass sure is a grow'n. ::)
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »
The way it's raining here right now... I wouldn't be surprise if you walk out into a field you might see a chuck breathing through a straw or reed down it's water logged filled hole!!!!!!!!The entire backyard looks like I can stock it with trout!!!!!!!!

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 12:10:56 AM »
3.68 inches of rain in 10 hours is nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!