Author Topic: Ever get your wildlife mounted by taxidermist?  (Read 2451 times)

uncle buck

Ever get your wildlife mounted by taxidermist?
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »
When you think what a nice piece of art cost you to hang on the wall... A wildlife mount is not half bad to get done... I always wanted to get red fox, gray fox, coyote, coon, and bobcat Head mounted...All snarling of course. Even the bobcat head could be one harvested out of state.. Don't know what I would do if I got one by calling in Pa or when I get one calling in Pa..

Things like this would be great to pass down to your grandchildren someday...

Also gives me a reason to hunt coyotes 365 days a year...The coyote head could be one taken in the Spring, Summer, or Fall..

Taxidermist...good to shop around.. understand some probably do better work then other but you can just take a trip to their shop and know just how they do mount well.

I have had numerous fish mounted for myself and my son over the years.. Also have all kinds of tanned hides and one coyote skull bleached..
This will be my first red fox head that I'm getting mounted.. of course I'm willing to pay a little more for it snarling....

I do have a full mount red fox with a grouse in it's mouth.. However that is my decoy for winter predator hunting...I got that from a taxidermist once.. Someone did not pick up their red fox so I got it for $50.00. taxidermist just wanted to get his money back for the materials he used to mount it..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:03:15 PM by uncle buck »

Offline predator1

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Ever get your wildlife mounted by taxidermist?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:00:01 AM »
Your right about checking out different taxidermists.I do taxidermy part-time(full time for 5 years)and there is a lot of good and bad.Don,t always go for the lowest price either.Prime winter furbearers make the best mounts.If you decide to get something mounted get it taken care of right away.Fox can be tricky for hair slip on the ears.I think taxidermists sometimes get a bad rap.The guy that kept his deerhead and hide in the back of his truck for 2 weeks to show it to friends blames the taxidermist when a problem arises.Also believe me that taxidermists are not getting rich like some believe.I have a construction business and if I wanted to make the same pay as I do in a day of construction in a day of taxidermy my $525deerhead would be about$750.00.If anyone here ever has any questions related to taxidermy feel free to ask.have a great day-Lloyd

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Ever get your wildlife mounted by taxidermist?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:10:44 AM »
UB asks-
Ever get your wildlife mounted by taxidermist?
Yep, Fox, Beaver, Mink, Weasel & Coyote. Also, Coon rug with head on was our son's first hugh Coon.
Beaver & Coyote mounts...I donated to our local gun club.
Fox mount I gave to a friend.
I also gave Richard Hilsher another Beaver mount for his store, it's new home is @ HILSHER'S STORE, Port Trevorton, Rt. 11 & 15.
Still have Mink & Ermine mount and plenty of tanned fur hang'n around the house.
I also 'hooped' some tanned Beaver and have 2 hanging in our home. I hung Grouse & Turkey tail feather at  3 o'clock & 9 o'clock and Ermine tails at 6 o'clock position.