Author Topic: Critters coming hard to your calling in cold weather  (Read 2382 times)

uncle buck

Critters coming hard to your calling in cold weather
« on: December 11, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »
My dad was in the process of dropping me off at place to hunt small game. It was a late November in Northeastern Pa and it was cold.  So much so that as we drove up near my drop off point.. A large buck ran across the road.. What I remember so well is the buck was running hard. The bucks warm breath in his lungs shot out the sides of his nostrils.  The buck look like a locomotive running hard with the steam running out both of it nostrils..  
Later on as I got into calling I would visit this area of NEPA and call...I remember calling one cold cold cold day..I could not see any critters approaching but I did see that same vapor from an animal that came in fast to my calling... It was a dead give away that there was a critter just behind the bush even though I did not see it's body...

We are soon going to be hunting bobcat and coyotes in our colder regions of the state... Just keep this in mind when calling... Watch for that steam or vapor coming from the mouth and or the nostrils of a fast incoming animal to your calling.. You could get the jump on it if you see this winter thing that happens to all of us mammals..

Many of us will be hunting in thick cover with heavy wooded areas filled with Mountain Laurel & Scrub Oak as we try to call in a bobcat..  Just remember this dead give away that something has responded to your calling.. Now make sure you confirm it's a targeted animal...After all every mammal that lives on land will be a SMOKEN when they come in hard and fast to your calling...  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:23:03 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
Re: Critters coming hard to your calling in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »
Hi UB, seems you go out frequently as I see you posting often.  I take deer season off and wait till most hunters are out of woods for year.  Have you killed any coyotes or fox in past two months?
Chris Deckard  District 2

uncle buck

Re: Critters coming hard to your calling in cold weather
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:07:05 PM »
I hunted hard in October right up to deer season...I have not been out since deer season started... Today the 2ND day you could really hunt day and night again. The winds are whipping up and the wind chill is 8. Now the holiday season is upon us...I really put family first and the holidays does cause me to hunt less.. After the holidays I start hunting hard again...I have killed fox this year already...I have called in 5 coyotes so far this fox season..However I had them so close but 3 of the 5 just stayed in the tall corn...the remaining two should have been dead but I could not shoot them for safety sake. One flanked me right in front of houses in a development. The other had I shot it I  would have broken the game law by shooting it on the road.. I did not shoot it for that reason..  See...down here where I live it more populated then out in the boonies so you really have to watch when you can shoot.. It's nice that deer season is over and I will again start to hit the predator real hard..