Author Topic: Coyotes clicking it's teeth  (Read 9251 times)

uncle buck

Coyotes clicking it's teeth
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:37:52 AM »
I called in a coyote this evening.. It would not come out of the corn..It was close.. So close that I heard it clicking it's teeth... Crit-R-Call song dog book references that they do click their teeth. I will have to see what Major Boddicker references why they do this..  I was doing coyote vocalization.. One time for a split seconds the coyote came out and stood on the public road and looked in my direction.. This was for about 15 seconds.. I could not shoot then anyway for safety sake... 

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coyotes clicking it's teeth
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:42:04 AM »
I heard they do that UB, but never witnessed it.  I remember Boddicker talking about that also.  I think it was a threat type sound, sorta like when bears do it.  Did you see the Coyote or how did you know it was one?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
UB, I think you had that coyote scared to death. He was shaking so bad he could not move. He must of had what the coyotes call "UB fever", it's just like buck fever for us. LOL ;D ;D ;D
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 02:10:09 PM »
UB, I think you had that coyote scared to death. He was shaking so bad he could not move. He must of had what the coyotes call "UB fever", it's just like buck fever for us. LOL ;D ;D ;D

Coyotes get the UB Fever and I get the Coyote Fever both at the same time.. Kind of like when two teams get a penalty in football they offset each other and in the end ...They both don't count..
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:10:47 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 02:23:06 PM »
I heard they do that UB, but never witnessed it.  I remember Boddicker talking about that also.  I think it was a threat type sound, sorta like when bears do it.  Did you see the Coyote or how did you know it was one?
I was calling fox in an area that is split by a major road..  I was on the other side of the street from the main farm.  It was at the 15 minute mark on my FX5..I was jumping back and forth for 3 minutes intervals doing rabbit sounds and then went to jackrabbit sounds.. It was at a jack rabbit sound that the coyotes started howling at me across the street in the still tall standing corn... They were about 100 yards away.. I shut the jackrabbit sound off ASAP.  I went to the coyote pup....The coyotes still howling started to come closer to me in the corn...They were still howling at me.. I remained silent for about 8 minutes...I did a coyote howl with my open reed call and remained silent for 8 minutes...I activated the Coydog howl on the FX5...Coyotes started coming toward my position but now a lone one was barking at me...It must have been about 50 yards from me but still in the corn. When they bark at me I always go to the coyote pup.  Barking stopped and then I started to hear the clicking of the teeth. This went on for about 5 minutes but it would not come out of the corn...Suddenly the coyote came out of the corn and was standing on the main road like I referenced above. This was only about 45 yards from me... I did have B Buckshot (my reload) and a full choke in my SBE 11 but he was there and gone so fast and being the public road I would have been breaking the law so I did not take a shot.. Anyway just the learning experience. However an outstanding experience and everytime things like this will make one a bit more smarter.

If anything remember this ...If coyotes start barking at you...Go right to the coyote pup...It does make them come in for a look see...Hopefully once all of this corn is cut they will still be there and I have a plan on how I might get one.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 02:24:08 PM »
Maybe this coyote needs to use some Polygrip?  Polygrip...the stuff that holds false teeth in poor souls mouths..

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
Page 27 Major Boddicker book "Talking To Coyotes With The Song Dog".

"When  coyotes get near a kill, they communicate with quiet sounds, body language, and low-volume vocalizations which are rarely, if ever , heard by humans."   "These sounds are useful as teasers and suspicion-removers when coyotes get in close to the caller."

"Coyotes will turn a quarter-or half turn to each other and click their teeth as they approach a kill." "What it means is not clear, but it will often stop the coyotes and hold them when have shown signs that they are about to leave."  

"Open the lips and click your teeth in very quick, choppy movements." This can be useful to do as the final adjustments are slowly being made in bringing the rifle to a final shooting position." Be careful_it will make the coyotes zero in on you."

UB comments:  Maybe the coyote was waiting for me to give the teeth click..They might wanted reassurance that the coyote across the street was indeed a coyote?  Or there was more then one coyote in the corn and the Alpha might have been holding them back the others from crossing the road to my side..It might have felt something just was not right and was making the other coyote's hold back a bit..
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:07:46 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:34:19 AM »
interesting topic.  my lab does it when he wants you to throw a toy or wants attention.  he chatters his teeth like he is cold. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »
Ben the more I think about it now...I think it might have been a Alpha male or female with other coyotes with them...They probably wanted to come to my calling and he or she teeth clicks were telling them to hold tight...See the Major comments above he felt that they do this to make them hold in one spot... 

Ben that just what it sound like...Someone teeth clicking from being cold...It was down right awesome...I know it was them because of the barking coyote came right at me but still hidden in the tall corn..That stops and then the teeth chatter started...The chatter or click was only one animal..also the barking prior to was only one animal..However one coyote did walk out on the road not a pack.  ???????????

Did you notice Major Boddicker comments that you could do this to make them hold tight...Wonder if you had teeth clicking on a electronic caller. If you activated this would a coyote stop, turn back and look at you?  Might be good sound then to hold them a bit to take a rifle shot?

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
This happened to me again on the same property... However this time the coyote flanked me and came running at my position from my blind side not into the wind... Also....I think it might have been the female since it was also whimpering..

I have posted this on a Texas Predator hunting web site and even sent a P. M. to Gerald S t e w a r t asking what his opinion of this was.. Gerald got back to me.. He also said that the coyote was thinking of me as a Threat!!!!!I liked hearing that because it makes me think that my opinion on yanking the coyotes chain does work... If the coyotes think that I am a intruder and they are coming in even clicking their teeth at me then my scenario is working... I have learned so much about our Coyotes of South Central Pa because of this.. Gerald said he could only remember one time when a female coyote came to a call whimpering... He said something to the effect that he could tell that it was just matted by another coyote.. I don't know? If this was a female that was coming in to the calling of an Alpha coyote in submission. However if anything.. Listen when your calling coyotes and if you hear the CLICKING OF THE TEETH just get ready.  
Also one who preached all the time about predators always coming into the wind.. Know now that most predators but not always the coyotes.
You have to be ready for coyotes and catch them by checking 360 degrees around you..  An important factor here is to know the land so well like the back of your hand...Know where the trails and or paths  of least resistance are because they, coyotes will come right at you from the upwind side if their is a trail...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:44:56 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »
UB is finally getting it-
Also one who preached all the time about predators always coming into the wind.. Know now that most predators but not always the coyotes.
... to know the land so well like the back of your hand...Know where the trails and or paths  of least resistance are because they, coyotes will come right at you from the upwind side if their is a trail...

Sound advice. Glad you're getting it.
UB, for the past 10-11-12 years on thesehere sites folks have been saying Coyotes will come in any direction, know where they are, scout, and use the terrain. Use trails, fencerows, swales and even snow cover; make trails with 4x4, ATV or snowmobile. I even made some trails in the fall, with weedwacker, to work over this winter.
UB, am not knocking you in any way about Coyotes. I respect you and your Fox knowledge very much.
Iam no expert, but learning ever season.
UB, Am happy to see you have enough Coyotes, now, in your area to learn from and the time to hunt. Time is also a big factor.

btw,
I average a few Coyotes each season, but never heard clicking. I'll start to listen.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »
I have killed them on the upwind side of the caller, both fox and coyotes but only when they couldn't get to the downwind side without being exposed.  I was playing around with different setups last year and missed out on an alpha male because i was messing around next to the caller with a decoy.   If i was on the downwind side I would have killed him, he came in from the upwind side, flanked the caller and circled to the downwind side at about 75 yards from the caller.  of course as soon as he hit my scent cone he was gone.  it was the only time i have ever heard a male coyote challenge scream and was an awesome experience but i should have gotten that dog.  when i go back through my notes of the past couple of years my money is on the downwind side.   

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
Yep....figure we are learning now.. I live in the farm belt of Pa SCPA.. It's awesome to be calling coyotes every year now.. In 1986 I never called in coyotes... However I am starting to see less fox now.. First the gray and now the reds are starting to be less and less. Don't know if it's just that time of the year.. That part after deer season when they have been pushed. Hoping the fox hunting will improve once their horns start acting up...

Knowing your hunting land is so important. Even on this last call in... The coyote had to come to my flank by coming down the county road not through all the cut corn stubble. See least resistance.. I don't care what it looks like.. if your close to the road they will come to your calling that way...

"YANKED THAT CHAIN AND KNOW YOUR TERRAIN!!!!!!!!"  UB
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:06:08 PM by uncle buck »