Author Topic: Gunsmith Apprenticeship??  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
Gunsmith Apprenticeship??
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
I love guns and everything about them and decided i want to become a gunsmith. The best gunsmith school in pennsylvania is in pittsburg and i cant just up and leave my life here at least the ol lady wouldnt let me. I have a good job working for ES3 which is the world largest food distribution warehouse and i make good money but its hard labor and im just not happy doing it. So what im asking is do any of you know of any gunsmiths looking to have an apprentice?

Thanks guys and any leads or advice toward reaching my goal is highly appreciated!!
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Gunsmith Apprenticeship??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
Good luck.  I do my own gunsmithing stuff from time. There are not many gunsmiths in this area and those that are arent busy enough to take on someone. Being a machinist allready its not a far leap for me. I can assure you the crap on sons of guns and american guns is not what a true gunsmith does. They are both jokes when it comes to their knowledge on the machining. Sons of guns assembles guns more then anything. American guns prob does do better work but lets face it it prob doesnt make good tv.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »
I have stopped in at this fellas shop http://www.mccauslinrifles.com/ a couple times now.  there is also a new gunsmith located in mt holly as well.  not sure of the name though. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »
Specialize in high end guns such as trap,skeet and sporting guns. Do stock work ETC. do rifle work. there is a ton of business out there if your good.

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »
I was never inspired by the shows..i see that they rarely actually do work on guns rather than buy parts and assemble them..im inspired by me looking at my guns wishing i could do more..i helped my armorer out alot during my service and it was super fun..i basically field stripped M4s and M16s cleaned and put acogs on them/test fired them..occasionaly did some basic work to 240B and 249s...i loved it..i wanna be a gunsmith so bad its not funny..just dont know where to start..ill call the references youve given ben and fox thats def good advice..never thought that way..thanks guys
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill