Author Topic: Hypothetical question...How would you respond??  (Read 4890 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Hypothetical question...How would you respond??
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »
Scenario is as follows......You are into the first day of a coyote money hunt, with the prize being let's say $1000.00. You are being pelted by wind and rain and a coyote gets past you...rather than nuts him up you let him go for a later attempt..As you leave the area you decide to check and see where said coyote was going...Holy Moley you jump the creek and cross the little pasture and up the bank and there is a groundhog hole that is now coyotes front door. Now here is the $1000.00 question...What would you do? (A.) Sit near the hole and shoot him like a groundhog, enter him and collect your money. (B.) Give him at least a 200meter safety zone in all directions, and attempt to get him fair chase. (C.) Shoot him ,cause he's fawn killing vermin, enter him, collect money, get picture taken and then brag how tough coyote hunting is, except for you  ;D...Just curious what my fellow predator hunters might comment, sort of like a UB ethics question... a $1000.00 dollar bill on 4 feet.. 8)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Hypothetical question...How would you respond??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »
jasper
I would set a trail camera up if was close enough to home to check it for pictures. Always wanted to see what they bring back to eat for the pups.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:39 PM »
I'd crawl down the hole and interview him..

No...a call is a tool... they would come to you... So I wouldn't even sit by hole.. I'd probably go back and just get where it 's legal on the farm that the hole is on. I'd try to call him to me after dark too.. I'd look which way had the least resistance to my calling.. That's where the call would work and that's where he or she would come..I might try to get to a high spot but not to watch the hole but to make my shot as it entered the calling area..   The Tool....That what would call him in...Not looking up or into his or her hole.. I'm a caller not a Proctologist!!! 

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »
hahahaha UB that's great.....I had several responses in person, that weren't nearly this good...I was leaning towards Ernies reply figuring if she is still there later I would try to get some pictures. One young lady who lives near there wanted it gone cause it might have a nest..lol..and be defensive if it had babies and bite someone..didn't want details just wanted it gone..Another Wag suggested I throw a snare (meaning cable restraint) over hole and she'll be there in the morning..One was kill the damn thing save some deer and collect some money..win win.. situation.

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »
So What you're saying is, Groundhog hunters are unethical?

Shoot it.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:56:23 PM »
Nope! Just seeing what comes down the road...I have a friend who would shoot her any chance, even if she had pups, I wouldn't...that's my choice......not my business to judge others...I know what works for me. It's a very loaded question, I admit, just wanted to see what the response would be...

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 06:13:40 AM »
Jaspr1
         I'm figuring you want it as a pet and will be feeding it and providing a bowl of water too 8)....are you also going to give it some toys to play with and rehabilitate it so it won't chase fawns, rabbits, ducks, geese, chickens, lambs, rodents, and ground Grizz???  :DOh your such a sweet old guy!!! :o You better protect it cause someone will get it!!! ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »
 Goose your response is almost as good as that old geezer UB....I was thinking of taking a rawhide chew up there to see if I could get a picture for Ernie ;D I was thinking ::) maybe I would raise one of the pups and next year when we have hunts bring it along for the points. ;) I don't remember seeing anything in the rules against this...Hey the posters say "DEAD OR ALIVE". ;D I am waiting for a response from Hern then my day will be complete, as he disagrees with everything. ;D ;D ;D I also might be getting a little soft in the middle...lol.. :-[..

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »
Why don't you get a rod and reel with a baited hook.... Drop it down the hole but set the drag....You might catch momma or pop not the little bream and she or he will be a snarling as you pull her or him from the hole and reel her across the forest floor... adjust  the drag now.. That baby going to sing too...A lot clicking, howling, snarling, all at the same time...  Gee recorded for us... Fun begins as you reel her or him in closer... Better get yourself a good night stick so you can nail them on the first pass.. or use an open choked shotgun in case you miss at close quarters.. Use two hooks on the line...Catch both adults at once.. They may even fight between themselves as you reel them in...Ah Coyote Fishing you got to love it!!!!!!!Nice no combined limit either.. You can catch as much as you want and you might get yourself a wall hanger...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:26:27 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 05:29:48 AM »
 :D He-He-He!!! This is gettin gooder now!!!! :D Heck the next thing someone will want to try and train them for ya so they can fetch up fox for ya :o....being as you'ns are gettin old and decrepted 8) He-He-He!!! :D might even hafta teach them to talk to give UB some pointers!!! :D :D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:15:30 AM »
See...... if you put out the right bait they will come! ;) I think UB is right ...he is either the  Shell answer man or his reincarnation.. ;D I am going to call BigBen for his advice on rod and reel..line selection... :) One thing for sure us OLD decrepit guys won't have to worry about falling in the Crick and leaking waders if this catches on!! ::) My wife walked by and said "You have to much time on your hands"... ;D What does she know... >:(

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
"You have to much time on your hands"....Oh-O :o...here comes the "Honey-Do List".. :P
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »
Do you all remember that New Hampshire study the D  D U N B A R posted on the predator web sites.. It was a video...The women doctor said:  If you keep throwing dead sheep out on a pile.. Your going to make the coyote sheep killers... If you throw dead chickens out on a pile your going to make those coyote like Purdue.... If  we keep throwing deer out in pits...The coyotes in the area are going to have a hankering for venison..  If your going to feed cats.... the coyotes will come in for the cat food and the cats.. That was this doctors main point about feeding stray cats in the neighborhoods... Once the cats will come so will the coyotes...See the whole theory here is...That get to eating so much of it that they get to like it!!!!!!

They do like Grasshoppers in September too.. So far rubbing both of my legs together to make hopper sounds however have proved negative!!!! ;D ;D :o 

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »
If you did start to bait the area and keep using the same bait over and over and over... Then maybe by the 2nd week you could really start to hammer them.. Not that you shouldn't hunt over the bait as soon as you put it there...

I can tell you this......The coyotes are hanging  around where the deer herds are cored up now too...

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
Well thanks Goose for jinxing me >:( she said enough of this foolishness, why don't you go clean up some of the limbs that have come down in all this wind...  :( so off to the shed for the rake  :( being to clueless myself, sure would be nice for someone to post a dead coyote picture ;) recently taken in Pa. by a PPHA hunter so she believes there are some out there  8) she's starting to believe these "heard them howling", "ran behind me","in front of me", "went down a HOLE" are fabrications :o :o So I'm going to go sit next to a barn door and howl at the moon and see what happens ;D I'll show her 8)