Author Topic: we have been squirrel and hunting with the crossbow  (Read 2317 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
we have been squirrel and hunting with the crossbow
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »
Saturday me and Forrest went out for deer with the crossbow,  cold and rain, we didn't see anything on stand but did jump one on the way out.   

Monday after work i took him out squirrel hunting behind the house, he had two shoots and got them both,  he is getting efficent with the .17 hmr. 

Tuesday after work I took him out for deer, at 4:45 we had a 5 point walk into us, he was about 40 yards away, i had didn't even think about taking him because i thought he would walk into the food plot but for some reason he walked around it and got in some brush 25 yards to the right of us and winded us.  Forrest was exicted i could actually see him shaking.  He was very close to getting that deer, hind sight says we should have shot him at 40 yards. 

Tonight after work Jackie, Forrest and I went out for squirrels behind the house, no shots at any but Jackie did see one of the big bucks, a spike, and 3 doe.  the deer seem to be moving pretty good now.  saw a couple of scrapes that werent there on Monday. 

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
Re: we have been squirrel and hunting with the crossbow
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »
I want to commend you for not taking that shot. I have been archery hunting and working on bows since I can remember and Ive also shot crossbows and one thing I found is they are ok close range but you get out past 30 they start losing a lot of energy.  You keep huntin its gettin to be that time of year when the big ones are gonna slip up and when they do . . . . . Backstraps