Author Topic: Question from another site abour regulations on furbearers  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
Question from another site abour regulations on furbearers
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:21:25 AM »
This question was presented on another website, and I am wondering what some others thoughts on it are......(please lets keep this civil and not make it into an arguement....)

If I am hunting with a friend for furbearers.

My friend has a bobcat permit.
I do not.

We are hunting in an area that has fox, coyotes, bobcats and other predators, and a bobcat happens to come in......my friend (who has the permit harvests the bobcat)

Would I be in violation of any law, because I did not have my bobcat permit? And a bobcat was harvested?

Now IMO....I could set up a million what if scenarios with ALL kinds of game and licenses, where no one would be able to harvest anything unless everyone in the group all had the exact same tags.
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Question from another site abour regulations on furbearers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:33:15 AM »
I seen a big conversation in the pgc regs portion of huntingpa a few weeks ago.  my thoughts on the matter.  I have talked to a few wco's that are in the northcentral part of the state and from gathering what they have told me as long as the second person isn't doing anything other then coming along then they are fine to come.  they gotta sit there.  they cannot take part in the hunt at all.  now do I think this rule is stupid?  yes.  the pgc seen a way to get $'s by making guys get a guide permit that will hunt with another buddy this season that has a cat tag.  the possibility is allways there to call in fox coyote and bobcat.  allthough I will have to admit that when I find decent cat sign I normally do not find alot of the other sign from fox and coyote.  now this is just my limited experience on the subject. 

and yes the way the law is wrote if you were hunting with me and I killed a cat while you were on stand then you would get in trouble without getting a guide liscense.  do I think it is wrong?  yes if using this same thought process on deer you would have it that if me and you were hunting and you had a doe tag along with your buck tag and I only had a buck tag and you shot a doe then I would be in violation.  makes little sense at all.  only sense it does make is cent$.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
no,even a archery hunter with a fur license can stay in the woods way apast dark in deer season,even a deer gun hunter as long as he has a valid deer tag.As long as they have a furbeaers tag....they are coyote hunting
what can the pgc do unless they shoot a deer.

coyote hunting laws,and people who by a fur takers license can bypass many laws,like the deer hunters mentioned above....but if you are running the call and he harvests the bobcat,you would be perticipating in the hunt.

which if you did not have a permt to hunt bobcats would be in violation.

it is a stupid law,take 2 calls turn one on so you cant hear it,but turn it on or you would have to lie,you were hunting fox and coyote he was hunting bobcat,and fox,and yote.
even though your together,you are both hunting legaly.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:09:18 AM »
there is no way they could beat it in court,and you would not have to lie.

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »
Does anyone know of any instances of someone being cited for this?
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 01:11:10 PM »
I think this is something new shawn.  before I was told that the only time you needed a guide permit was if you were charging to hunt them.  that came from pgc harrisburg probably 5 years ago.  since then who knows how they interpret the wording.  I think it came to a head this year when the hound guys got mad that they could not carry a pistol and that was the reasoning was they could be considered included in the hunt.  but if they had a guide liscense then why couldn't they carry a pistol?  hmm very strange. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »
I believe that regulation was quickly changed that guides may now carry a handgun for protection again
I think they have to have an LTC though...not 100% sure...
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »
yeah they still need a carry permit.  but yeah they quickly changed it and said it was a wording error. 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 02:04:42 PM »
I think if one of our district people draws a permit a fellow member could help them call in a cat. Anything wrong with that?

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »
I have a cat tag and I take someone calling with me that does not have one and they help in anyway.  carrying gear calling picking a good location scouting anything. it is against the law and you can be prosocuted.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »
THat stinks

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
yeah tell me about it.  the only way you could technically be prosocuted though was if I killed one.  I do know from talking to pgc at harrisburg and a few wco's they do not have an issue if someone comes along to video or watch but the stipulation is they cannot do anything to help out with the hunt.  it is another one of those stupid rules. 

Offline kpaul9886

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »
I don't think they are even allowed to have a firearm in their  possession unless they have a CWP. Being in the woods with a gun is considered primavera face huh of huntin! Im no lawer but i did stay at a holiday inn once! :o

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
 ;D ;D KPaul, that sounds like a spaghetti dish my wife would make.

Sorry for going off topic.

I think this law stinks for cats.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »
The PGC definition of "hunting" includes "laying in wait". If someone is with you and they are sitting and watching with you they can be considered "laying in wait". The wrong WCO will bust you for that.
President PPHA