Author Topic: Thanksgiving Night  (Read 1071 times)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Thanksgiving Night
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »
I called the owner of the property, where I had seen plenty of fox previously.  She told me she had coyote's howling howling a few nights earlier.  I told her I would be up sometime after dark Thanksgiving night.  After I finished half of a 25lb bird.  I suited up for what I would hoped to be a successful night in the fields.

I got to the farm about 1945hrs, 7:45 for those that don't military time.  I decided to attack the wood line from a different angle this time around as I didn't want to educate the fox from the same spot.  As I skirted the edge of the soy field, using a green light to guide my way.  I was about 75yds away from where I was going to make my first stand.  Something busted out of the soy beans like a bat out of heck.  I quick put up the light to see what it was, but the was not bright enough to get a good look.  So I turned on the gun light.  By then, what ever it was, had mad it over the lil hill in fron t of me.  So I listened to it running.  It did not sound like a deer running.  I could hear the soy beans hitting its body.  It made it to the neighboring property and I didn't hear anything else after that.  I got to my spot put out the Power Dogg bout 50yds in front me.  As sat and waited a few minutes before I started to call.  I could hear some dear on the other about 100+yds away carrying on making distress snorts.  I got up to see what was going on.  I shined my head lamp and gun light into the field.  There were at least 6 deer in the field all looking the same direction.  Away from me.  They were stumping pacing carrying on real bad.  So I stepped further into the field to see what was going on.  I shined the lights down the wood line and caught 3 sets of eyes.  I must have walked in on an ambush.

I know where I'm hunting in few weeks after the early gun season is over.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: Thanksgiving Night
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »
Sounds like fun. I had something similar happen to me at a spot I was putting off. I walked to far into my setup and blew something out of the Briar thicket at the end of a cut corn field. It happens and I look forward to hearing the conclusion of your story.
FayetteNam