Author Topic: Pennsylvania Grand Canyon  (Read 2644 times)

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Pennsylvania Grand Canyon
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:15:07 PM »
A group of six of us are leaving Saturday morning on a bike ride to the Pa Grand Canyon. I have never been there and I was wondering if anyone has. Are there any tips you can give me on things to see and do? We are leaving from Pgh and heading north to Rte 6. From there we will head east.
President PPHA

Offline PaCoyotenut

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Pennsylvania Grand Canyon
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »
 Mutt, I have a place in Tioga county about 20 -25 minutes away from the Grand Canyon. It's beautiful up there. You'll find things to do. The Grand Canyon is mostly for looking and taking in the sites. Head into Wellsboro also.

Me and my Buddy are going to trailor our Bikes up to my place next weekend. Then ride all around up there in Tioga and Potter county for the weekend. I have a 2001 Harley Fat Boy. What are you  scooting around on Mutt?

Be safe!

Mike

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:55:33 AM »
I too ride on a HD, and I went to college up at Mansfield University, which is about 20-30 mins away from the grand canyon. There are two look-outs, one from either side, there is Lenard-Harrison state parks which I believe is the east side of the rim, and then there is the west rim look out which the name of the state park is slipping my mind at the moment, I think its Colton Point tho...Running through the bottom of the canyon, as i'm sure you know is Pine Creek, and right under Lenard-Harrison is the Pine Creek Gorge, which is well known for some small whitewater and fishing. I've actually taken over night canoe trips down through the canyon...its really something everyone has to try if they love the outdoors...lots of natural waterfalls, and nature sights, such as bald eagles and such...on the west rim, colton point, there is a dirt road that splits off to the left as you're going up the paved road to the lookout, and if you take that its a short (1/2) mile or so track that will take you down right next to the creek in the canyon, which is really nice, spent every opening day of trout season down in the canyon for the 4 years I was there...There used to be an old firetower up there on the east rim in lenard-harrison, I don't know if they still let people climb up into that, but if they do it truely is an awesome sight!...wellsboro is a really nice town as well to just kind of check out, good food and brews at the gaslight!...I will be in the area sat actually, so if you get this before you leave, and you're up there and need some pointers give me a holler, i'll pm you a #
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »
Thanks guys, good info. I ride a VTX 1800 Spec 3. My two brothers ride Soft tails. My one buddy has a VTX 1800. Another guy is riding a VTX 1300 and the last guy has a Victory Vision. It kind of looks like something Bat Man would ride. Can't wait to head out in the morning. Last year we did a trip to Virginia and rode Skyline Drive. It was awesome. Critterslayer, I'll call you today sometime. PM sent.
President PPHA