Author Topic: 204 caliber?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
204 caliber?
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:32:43 PM »
I am possibly looking at buying a new gun. I currently have a savage axis 22-250 for fox, coyote, groundhog, about anything I wanna shoot basically. I am looking at buying a 204 though. Of what I have heard they are a jacked up version of a 17HMR but a necked down 222. I was originally looking for a 17 fireball but realized they do not make them anymore. I need something extremely accurate and well built. My 22-250 likes to jump around a little now but I still like it. I am just trying to find something that won't tear a fox in half! What is everyone else using and what gun should I get?

Offline BedfordQDM

• Junior Forum Member
Re: 204 caliber?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »
They are a necked down version of the 222 Mag. and hotter than a 222. They can be very destructive.

My recommendation is a 223 with a slower, heavier bullet, or one of my favorites, the 22 Hornet.
PPHA District 4 - York Co./Bedford Co.

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: 204 caliber?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »
I run the CZ 17 Hornet and its a tack driver with the Horady VMax ammo. I take head shots and end up with no fur damage. Times I have taken a shoulder shot it's been 50/50 on damage. If your into reloading you have all the options on how you want a load to perform with different bullets. The 204 is an awesome gun, I have the T/C Venture as my yote gun, it's also great for groundhogs.
Everyone has what they prefer and what works for them, the key is to find what works for you. That could be hand loads or factory loads. Good luck with your new gun search.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff