Author Topic: 2 gray!  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
2 gray!
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:05:57 AM »
Went out last night with some buddy's and finally actually got 2 gray fox to come in within 30 seconds. Here's my question though. My friend shot the one fox in the shoulder. It crashed, got up and ran. The other fox came in and my other buddy missed it. We found some blood but not much. Followed it but it was very small drops. Going to go back out today to try and find it. Should I go back and hunt the other fox and how far could that other fox have gone? Just wondering if anyone ever had a fox take off on them when it was hit good.

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: 2 gray!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
The furtherest a good hit fox has run for myself has been 30 - 40 yds. I would give the other fox a few days to try to call in again and id move your location just a little bit. Good luck on your recovery search today.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
Yah after weeks of trying this happens but we have blood and it ran into a thick patch of woods so hopefully we can get it out of there if it's there.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
i have found a few the next morning..   check the nearest brushpiles or thickest cover around. 

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:41:21 AM »
Those little suckers will crawl into, under anything if they have enough steam to do so. I've made some not so good shots and found some and lost some. Brush piles, old junk, I even found one laying dead the next morning in a 55 gal drum laying on its side with the top cut off! if theres snow to track its easier!
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
One of the causes with not having a blood trail is their fur.  It can "Soak up"  the blood before it leaves a trail.  Plus the possibility of the bleeding being all inturnal.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 03:17:16 PM »
Scott know his sheeeeeeet!  He probably saying: "Yes UB  I Know You!"   He's right of course... Also listen right when you shoot too... You will hear that Whack of the bullet hitting when using a rifle or you will hear the whimper of a hit when you use a rifle and shotgun too if they don't die right there... The sound will occur when the bullet hits and or pellet or buckshot hits... You hear a bit of a cry you best do what Scott said to do... You probably got him or her but your going to find it in the morning where Scott described...

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »
Around Thanksgiving I stop using #4 shot on fox and the cheap duck and pheasant loads and start to use quality ammo... Nickel plated stuff  that I reload myself... Like T, BB, and  #4 buckshot... Keep your eye open for # 2 shot in old gun shops.. Many times they just want to get rid of it.. Such was the case when I stumbled on some  3 !/2 Tungsten loads that had # 1 shot in it...What happens is the fur starts to prime up so you need something that going to do deeper and penetrate the fox... That Fur Be Primed Then!!!!!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »
Did you find the Fox?

Sound advice given in above replies.
Been back many times looking for Fox. Look hard.
I've taken a Beagle with me to do the trailing.

As far as the missed Fox...
I've gone back the same night and kill 'em or missed 'em again. And sometimes they don't respond to the second show.
Greys have a very small home range. So the missed Fox is still there, within earshot.
The missed Fox may hang up then sit, pace back and forth or bark, yip.
Or all the above.
Note where it hangs up. Next time working that spot, send you partner to the spot where the Fox hung up. Have your partner signal you when he is setup and ready. Tell him to be ready when he hears the caller.
You stay at your original calling spot and work the call. Use the same sound as last time. That should put the Fox at the end of partner's gun barrel. That's one method you won't read in a book.

Offline Kyle5865

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 07:58:26 PM »
No luck..... Couldn't find the fox. Going back out tonight to try some other spots and might try the spot where we shot at the fox again. Hopefully we can put some fur down!