Author Topic: 20 guage predator shells  (Read 2421 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
20 guage predator shells
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »
Forrest is going to start hunting predators at nite this year, we will still only carry one gun and it will be his 20ga pump.  i have been looking for shells to use but can't find anything i like.  most buck shot is 000 and the only 0000 buck i can find is 2 3/4.  i thought about heavy shot in T and number 2.  any other thoughts? 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 20 guage predator shells
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
Your only allowed to use number 4 buck for hunting. Nothing bigger for predators.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:49:41 PM by foxpro51 »

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »
The early part of the season for fox us 20 gauge Turkey loads...# 4 shot will kill prior to Thanksgiving..

Then I would go to a 20 gauge Hevishot for coyotes or fox there after...Even the Hevishot # 6 shot hits real hard..

If you can find 2 3/4 20 gauge # 4 buckshot then that would be OK..

Then there is Bismuth...That hits hard and you don't have to play around with chokes..It shoots the same as lead. If you could find some # 2 shot or even BB in the Bismuth  20 gauge that would be good for all predators..

Lastly.......some of the blaclcloud duck loads are suppose to be plated even if it's steel. I don't know anything about it but I'd try this on gray fox first to see if it hits hard...

http://www.blackcloudammo.com/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:43:05 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »
Looks like the Remington factory 2 3/4 20 gauge buckshot is # 3 buck and that is not legal....

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
I have been checking out the stuff I have to reload some 20 gauge # 4 buckshot... There is a reload for it...That would give you 18 # 4 buckshot pellets...After I recover a bit here and find where some of the 20 gauge AA Win hulls are I can reload some for you...I might have placed them at the bottom of my 12 gauge hulls.  I did find a few Remington and a few Federal hulls 20 gauge hulls on the top of the 12 gauge hulls but I would prefer to use the hull that they recommend with the powder...Now the Blue Dot powder that going to kick a bit.  However so would a 20 gauge turkey load.. The velocity of this # 4 buckshot 20 gauge  reload is about 1220..I can do 25 each # 4 buck and 25 each 1 ounce of BB.. The shot.  BB and or the # 4 buckshot is all nickel plated lead....So it hits hard.....

If I can't find the Winchester AA hulls or any 20 gauge Winchester Hulls  I might have to have you buy two boxes of WINCHESTER Low Brass 20 gauge AA  and have you shoot it and send me the hulls so I can reload it for you..  I think wal-Mart does have it.  Any of the Winchester low brass is equal to the Win  AA type  so they will work too... The Win AA comes in a black box..However don't buy it yet because I do have plenty of 20 gauge hulls it just can't dig for it yet.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 06:05:16 AM »
I appreciate it and so does Forrest, i was talking to him last night at dinner about it and he was happy.  He always been nervous about going at night and i never forced him to try it, this year he came to me and said he wanted to try it.  it is very important to me that he has the right gear to do the job.  thank you so much trying to help us out.    Just let me know what I need to buy or how much $ I need to send you to cover the cost.  again, thank you very much.